I was importing new Released Products into Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 R3 using Data Import Export Framework’s ‘Products’ entity. Although the import was apparently successful, I found that fields on the Default Order Settings form were all greyed out.
I had last encountered this problem nearly two years ago in AX 2012 FP. At that time, DIXF was in Beta, and Microsoft were not accepting bug reports. Thinking about filing one now, I decided to investigate the cause. The Default Order Settings form has three datasources:
Looking at these tables, I could see that DIXF had created records for my imported items, but the field ‘InventDimIdDefault’ was blank. With items created using the AX client (and which did not have a default site defined) this field contained the value ‘AllBlank’. I decided, for a quick fix, to add these three fields to my import. In the AOT, I opened the table DMFProductEntity and expanded the Fields node. In another window, I browsed to InventItemInventSetup. I dragged the field ‘InventDimIdDefault’ from this table onto the Fields node of DMFProductEntity. This created a new field in DMFProductEntity called ‘InventDimIdDefault’. I renamed it ‘InventItemInventSetup_InventDimIdDefault’. I repeated this for the other two tables, and compiled DMFProductEntity. This caused three new fields to be created in the Product’s Staging table.
In the Product CSV file that I was importing, I added three columns with the names ‘InventItemInventSetup_InventDimIdDefault’ etc. In each column, the values in all records were set to ‘AllBlank’. In DIXF, I opened my Processing group for the Products import and hit ‘Entities’. I then hit Generate source mapping and confirmed I wanted it to generate from scratch. This ensured the new fields in my data were mapped to the new fields I had created in the Staging table
Still in DIXF, I then found the ‘Product’ Target Entity and hit ‘Modify target mapping’. I did ‘Refresh diagram’, and then switched to the ‘Mapping details’ view. I hit ‘Generate mapping’, confirming that I wanted to generate the mapping from scratch. When this was complete, I scrolled down to confirm that my three fields were mapped to ‘Target fields’ with the same names.
I then ran the import, and found this time that I was able to use the Default Order Settings form as expected on my newly imported items. Perhaps I shan’t bother logging it with Microsoft after all!
UPDATE 13th March 2015: I notice that Microsoft have released a hotfix for Dynamics AX 2012 R3 which sounds like it resolves this problem with the Products entity in DIXF:
UPDATE 16th June 2015: I notice that Microsoft have released a related hotfix for Dynamics AX 2012 R3 for a problem with the ‘Item’ entity in DIXF. It seems AX will assume the InventDim record which has no inventory dimensions is ‘AllBlank’, even if it is not: